Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The City of Nizams

Having successfully completed 6 months 20 days in the city of nizam's, I consider myself an authority on Hyderabad. As is usual with outsiders, I have poked around in every corner of the city trying to find its pulse.

The first impression of the city was not so heartening, more discouraging i should say. When I landed at the airport after a weary flight which was delayed by 5 hours I was greeted by a dingy, not-worthy-of-its-name airport. Bone tired and juggling the entire luggage associated with women who are shifting cities, I struggled to find a cab. The clerk at the pre-paid cab counter totally ignored my presence. Long stares, tapping the window, and countless “excuse mes” later, he obliged me with a grunt. Having obtained a taxi receipt and fighting my way through the tumult of taxiwallahs I finally deposited myself in a rusty ambassador which dropped me off at a passable hotel at the end of a narrow, barely lit lane. Not a good start by any standards. Nor were the coming days any better.

It took me a long time to find a footing but once I did from then on it was a phase of discoveries. That’s how it is with cities, they surprise you everyday. Here I’ve spent months looking for a suitable house; I have argued endlessly with the stubborn autowallahs who’ll never go by the meter, always asking for an extra 20 bucks; I’ve eaten delicious food in the dingiest of places; I’ve roamed the side streets near charminar looking for a bargain; I’ve grumbled at the eve-teasing; I’ve even started talking Hyderabadi hindi J…. I’ve met people who helped me out at every stage and accepted me as their own. And finally I’ve come to like this place.

But I guess the time to go is coming nearer, I am restless for a change…
Let’s see what my next destination is….

1 comment:

RC said...

'I am in no hurry to do anything' attitude of Hyderabad - that's what keeps me away sometimes and makes me want to go back home the other times.