Saturday, February 23, 2008

oie.. what's happening

A long long time ago in school, i dreamt of becoming a fashion designer. If I closed my eyes I could hear the applause people gave after leggy models had paraded my clothes in a high profile fashion week. Then the fateful day came, when I had to choose amongst art, science and commerce. Any guesses?? Yup, the winner was science with PCMB (for the ignorant; its physics, chemistry, biology and math)

Later there was the logical choice between engineering and medicine (parents frowned upon fashion designing “hippy career, what-will-it-get-you, no respect”) and engineering won hands down. Not because I had any inclination towards it but cogs in my brain were calculating the time in years to get a degree. So it was 4 of engineering versus approx 10 of medicine.

Ah! Finally done with engineering now I can say goodbye to books forever, possibly burn them? Nah selling would be better. But alas, the best laid plans of mice and women (:D)…

Study more.. study more.. Bachelor’s degree isn’t enough.. what the hell.. well, one fine day it was the CAT paper. Wrote it without a clue; and later bit my nails all the way till the results came, waiting for the assault at home when they found out that I flunked.. parents have these weird expectations from their children.. I AM NOT A GENIOUS… in fact I’d like to be less than average.. just spare me the books..

But I wasn’t that lucky, the results came out and I was amongst the top 5% people who wrote that dumb test and hence had to go through the entire grind of GDs and PIs and what not… and ended up with a PGDBA course.

All is not lost, so I thought.. I can still enter marketing and enter the world of new products and brands and media and colour. So the choice remained marketing, till the time I had my summer training. I was amongst the lucky few who had to meet corporate clients, but after running around the length and breadth of Mumbai, and reaching home everyday resembling a wet dog, I changed my mind.

Hoo baby, I have to do finance… nothing to it, just a few numbers and sitting in an AC office all day. Wow!! That’ll be life. So, yours truly graduated with a degree in finance AAAAAAND (mind you) marketing.

I was picked up in the campus by a well known IT company, and here I am folks, doing something which is indefinable, it’s neither engineering, nor marketing, nor finance. I make newsletters, edit documents, design websites, compile excel sheets.

It’s just something to while away my time and get a salary every month. It’s a relaxed life, but I wouldn’t know about job satisfaction…

All I can say is.. oie!! This is what I wasted so much education on????????



2 comments:

Varun Cheemra said...

well it isn't a complete waste. Think of it this way - You'll find it much easier to teach economics AND the periodic table. Can you imagine the money you'll save on tuitions?

Soum... said...

Looks & Sounds like the untold story of many youngsters who go for something in life without even evaluating the significance of it in their own lives...

Some of it applies to me as well.. :)