Friday, November 29, 2013

Dan Brown and Dante

If not Dante's I've finally read Dan Brown's Inferno. Made quick work of it, 6 hours on a beautiful Sunday with endless supply of munchies and tea. Now I'm wondering if my Sunday could have been better spent? But that's the thing; once I start a book, it's tough for me to put it down, no matter what the content.

So Mr. Brown's formula wins again. Find some artists from the middle ages. Find some common things they worked on. Spot them in churches (this time a mosque too). Mix, match, run across countries and cities followed by gunmen who ultimately help you (you'd think Robert Langdon would have learnt that by now given that he solves puzzles so quick!). It's interesting how the characters always have time to explain the history and the story of the artists and mull over their various works... I mean hello, you have a world to save!

In any case, the story is entertaining and of course I like that unlike movies the destruction is not solely aimed at the US of A (honestly I was sick of THAT - I mean ETs always land in the US, 2012 happens there, Armageddon is tackled by them and god knows what not. Seriously, it's annoying... there is the rest of the world too people. And more populated than the US. Sheesh!). So anyway, we now have a new epicenter for fanatics, Italy. And lots of question on the ways of the church, which I being an atheist, am quite OK with.

With Inferno, Dan has made an attempt at education (telling us that the world is coming to an end - which again I agree with), criticized the world institutions - WHO, governments and the church (fine again) and given a cure to the world's ills - mass sterilization (:D super cool). All this while accompanied by a hot, young, super intelligent chick who as usual falls for Mr. Langdon's charms.

Getting a mixed review? Ok, to sum it up - the read is entertaining as always, but the story is nothing new. It's the same formula as his previous books. So if you are ok with that, and with his interpretation of Dante, by all means pick it up. I for one hope that he tries another formula now, this concoction is getting a little 'been there done that'

No comments: