Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Lifestyle



A few days back i had the pleasure to interact with a very impressive person. She taught us ethics; there was something in her that made me think "this is how i would want to be". She had a peaceful countenance.. as if all is well in this world; yet a forceful character that hit u like a wave... she had what u may call dynamism, verve, panache... and knowledge!!!

She asked us not to turn a blind eye to the world, to look and learn from experiance; our own as well as others'... (how many of us actually do that??). Ma told me the same thing once, i guess everyones' parents do, she said "i've made this mistake.. it hurts.. don't do it", but i guess i have a wilfulness that is hard to suppress :) so i went ahead anyways...

Coming back... i was saying we do turn a blind eye to the world. We are lost in our own convictions, beliefs and opinions. How often do we examine ourselves and say " i am not doing this right... let me change myself". We always try to shift the blame, to change others... is it because it is so difficult to change ourselves???

My teacher said it's difficult yes, but impossible no.... to change yourself you need to change your lifestyle. Live a simple life, meditate, sleep less, eat well, have clean thoughts etc etc... i did appreciate all her suggestions but have found it impossible to implement them... (mostly due to laziness). Every morning i plan to get up at 6, but i've rarely managed 9.... and i console myself, it's six if u look at it from the other side :)
forget meditation and eating well. My day isn't over without a burger from McD's and a chocolate gateau dripping with chocolate sauce. As for clean thoughts... i never had them and probably never will. :(

Ahem.. so the dilemma is "how do i attain that knowledge, peace and force of character, without having to give up my little pleasures in life?"

P.S. : i have a lot of little pleasures

2 comments:

arimanius said...

Bravo!! Subtle humour and serious thoughts..very well written..As for achieving peace and a force of character...a clean conscience is the root...wen u dont hear voices at the back of ur head saying uv done wrong or wronged..all the rest peace calm character good living stems from that..

Anonymous said...

I liked this one. I remember very well abut the tie I first read it. I found it a little funny the first time, but then a repeat reading made me hungry, thanks to the chocolate gateau dripping with chocolate sauce :-) and the fact that I had not eaten for close to 18 hours when I was reading this. But I liked what you and your teacher had to say, makes a lot of sense and I liked the way you put it even more.



For some of the other blogs, like Memories of midnight, there was something I had to say then when I read it the first time. I am now not getting the thoughts which formed the initial reaction, I guess it's because the perspective changed after having read your other blogs. I guess that's what happens when you don't put down your thoughts as soon as you read it :-)