Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The elusive romance

I was never the flowers n chocolates kind.  I'd rather have books than flowers and probably a chocolate making kit than chocolates. And not really into candle light dinners either. I like to read my menu and see my food. Not in for long calls and mushy sms either. My ears ache after a while and I just don't know what to say! And for messages I'm more of a mean, sarcastic and scathing kind than mushy. I hate surprises, cannot remember anniversaries and absolutely detest public scenes. Probably my practical and humourless nature just gets in the way of that kind of romance.

So over the years I've been accused of not knowing the worth of a relationship, or not appreciating the beauty of a gesture, and sometimes just being a spoil sport. Well, in my defence, I do like a well done romance ;).. Just my way. There are things I find comfort in and those are the ones I cherish most; more than random flowers which to some people are a way to correct any wrong.

While driving back from work today I drew up a list of things that are romance for me. And here they are:

1) When we cook something special side by side

2) When we do a crossword together on a lazy Sunday

3) When you come home after a long day to a bear hug

4) When you paint my nails

5) Having a breakfast in bed

6) Getting drenched in the rain and then warming up with a cup of tea in a cosy blanket

7) Getting a hobby together

8) Drinking wine and reading a book together

9) Sitting and watching the sea

10) That unexpected kiss..

11) That shared laugh just between the two of u

12) That look of understanding....

But life is so busy that these small things sometime just slip through your fingers...and one has to make an effort to hold on...these are the things that make me cherish the moment and the memory.. And these never go in to the dustbin like faded flowers!

No comments: