Sunday, July 29, 2012

I want to be a storyteller

Weekends is usually when I sit and think what I want to do in life. Gaurav hates it.. because he knows I'll come up with something new I want to do and harass him on the 2 days that he gets to sit at home and watch TV. Well I can't blame him, but my head is always so full of things that should be done and I MUST have someone to listen to all those ideas. Mostly, they centre around what I want to do in life. That mostly comes up when I am bored. Sometimes I am amazed how easily things, people and places bore me. Well that's another topic for another day. Coming back to my weekend musings, after thinking over a lot of options, I've figured I want to be a storyteller.

Whenever I think about the happiest times or at least the most memorable times in my life, I'm always a storyteller in those. I remember when we were kids and lived in a joint family. Whenever there were fights at home (there were a lot of them... I grew up in a troubled household) I'd make up stories and tell them to my li'l siblings to distract them from what was happening outside. I also wrote them down painstakingly... i wish i had those notebooks now!

As a teenager I made stories about a crush I had and told them to my sis and my cousin. We'd have long sessions and I would think about scenarios that I could develop next. (Not that the crush ever got to know!). I played pranks and made up stories in phony letters to a cousin (of course all of us were in this together).

Work wise I was happiest when i was a trainer and could tell stories to people who could not get away from them (evil grin). I still make up stories in my head and sometimes i pen them down. Haven't hit on that one bright idea yet that'll make me a novelist, but i think i get by as a blogger!

It's such a closure to finally know what you must be.. and now that I've settled on this idea I guess gaurav will have better weekends :D

4 comments:

Ju said...

you stole my thought here!!! but at least you have hope of becoming a story teller - the blog is a start!!

Sum said...

Ohh.. I'm seeing many a common things here! I too get these random ideas on what i should do and be, and bore D with new ideas often.. And now that everyday is weekend to me, i don't even have to wait for those 2 days :D! And my second last one was being a story teller, and it's been pushed back a bit after one of my stories didn't go beyond two pages... yet :P. You do have good story telling skills and should pursue it seriously... BTW, i'm reading this blog of urs regularly now... and loving it...

vortex said...

Thanks Ju, but you are much better in your letters to nana :)

:D thanks Sum. Glad you like the blog... I think I keep at it because it's the only regular writing I do. BTW - waiting for the eggless cupcake recipe.

Unknown said...

Today I wrote a comment on your fb page and deleted it.... 2-3 times a month i keep asking myself, what would make me the happiest, what i really want from life in a few yrs , without worrying about whats expected from me, or what gets the society's respect...and i wanted to write my musings on your page, coz though we've been apart for more than 13 yrs now, i spent my childhood adoring you, and whatever happens i'll be your little sister, and so can put forward the silliest thoughts and uncertainities, without being judged (though i'm sure you'd laugh). And I love hearing stories, and though i can not tell even the basic cinderella story without ruining it, there's nothing a good story will not cure... I have forgotten any stories you might have told when i was little... So if u ever find those notebooks, i call first dibs on them.